Saturday 6 October 2012

{Thriving this Winter} Day 6: See

Yesterday we had our engagement photo session.... after only 5 years of marriage. Ha! It was lots of fun, and the sunset behind us was beautiful so I am sure they will turn out great. Today I am talking about fun, so naturally I want to talk about how we deal with photo's in our life.

Sometimes it is really nice to have a professional take some pictures, but all the photo's on display in your house do not have to be professionally done. Photo's are there to remind us of our experiences, so looking at photo's that mean something to you can be more important than the photo being a true art piece. Mix the two together for a authentic view of your life!

Our latest "yearbook"


If you are the kind of person (like me!) who has difficulty actually taking pictures why not try a photo challenge? Just type "photo challenge" into pinterest if you want something to follow. Or you can simply take a photo every day. It is that simple. I have a goal to change my facebook profile pic monthly and replace it with a new photo. Keeps things fresh and since I am constantly trying to find that new facebook pic I am taking my camera out and using it MUCH more often.

Also, assuming you use a digital camera and store them on your photo, you need to remember that one of the most important features of that program is the delete button. Most of us take about 2 dozen pictures of one great shot, just to make sure we really capture it. But do you ever delete the 20 photo's you don't need? I have been organizing our iphoto (which is a horrible task if left too long, so please start today!) and have found some really crazy shots. Like a giant close-up of a nostril. Make sure you are keeping the beautiful photo's and just get rid of the test shots. (Unless they are of people who are being really funny and actually in focus!)

Our bedroom wall is all about us!
Then, once you have actually gotten some photo's it is time to display them. Photo's are one of the cheapest and easiest ways to add unique-ness and personality to your decor. My favourite place to get my photo's printed is a) my own house, sometimes just on a piece of paper, or b) London Drugs. I have a 6 year old printer and sometimes I just print a photo on pre-cut photo paper (that I get for free when I buy ink cartridges!), index cards, even lined paper. This is great for projects that aren't going to be hung and probably will be used only for a short while. You know, like a big photo display for a birthday. London drugs is great because you can just load up a usb, go to their kiosk, and then you walk through each photo and choose size, layout and exactly what you want to have printed. You can get multiple sizes and the prices are very reasonable for larger blow-ups.

Two things to note about using photos:
1) If you are making a gallery wall, try using command strips. Simply take the two pieces (for pictures you need two pieces) stick them together. Then peel off one sides covering and stick it right to the frame. Take the other peel off and lining it up to where you want it to go, press it right on the wall. If by chance you have made an error, even without measuring, you can always remove the command strip and try again. No holes in the wall!
2) They don't all have to be hung. Try using frames that sit, on furniture, bookshelves, but you can also do larger framed photo's and simply lean them again the wall. This gives a more casual look.
3) An edited selection of photo's used as a screen save can be a great way to share photo's.

Beautiful BC in our Bathroom

So if your house is looking great, but maybe lacks a bit of you, trying putting a photograph somewhere! Now when I look around my house I am reminded of my family, friends and beautiful places we have been. And when others come to my house they also get to see a bit about my life and personality. Win, Win!

How do you manage photo's in your house? Please comment below!



1 comments:

  1. Another way to change your decor or spruce things up is just to move pictures and paintings to different rooms or places every once in awhile. It makes you stop and enjoy them in a different light.

    ReplyDelete