Thursday 13 September 2012

Helping yourself remember....

You guys, I am so sad.

Today while working on a project that will hopefully come together fabulously and will be on my blog in the next few weeks I realized something really really sad.

I don't know where my bear from Prince Charming is.

That may not sound like a big deal, so I will tell you more about this bear.


This bear was the very first present Charming ever gave to me. It was an easter present, because we started dating in April, so that was the closest holiday. He was small and yellow and came holding a package of caramilk eggs. It was such a perfect present. He was named D-bear because in high school me & a friend called Charming "D". This was because we would type notes to each other on our graphing calculator's and writing names a million times took a lot of effort, so we shortened it.

This bear lived with me while Charming went away to school, then I went to school in a different city, then he came to live in the same city, then we got married. I think my bear got lost coming to edmonton. This is a bear who used to come with me everywhere, because wherever I lived, D-bear lived.

This bear was in my wedding as the "ring-bear" and held the silver ring box that my mother-in-law used in her wedding.

This is not the first thing I have lost from Charming, but to me it is the most sad. Over the years he has given me some wonderful presents, but somehow they were more exciting before we were married. I miss the crystal heart necklace he gave me for our first christmas, the blue topaz earrings he got me without realizing this was my birthstone, the heart keychain he gave me for grad.

So here is what I want to tell you today.

If you have any special gifts or items that you receive, take a picture of it. Don't leave this for the girls who are getting engaged. Anything that would make you utterly cry if you lost it, just take a picture of it now.

Because the thing is, I still have Charming, which means I still have the potential to get something else wonderful from him. But it won't be the same as that first present. It won't bring back the same memories, and honestly I don't cry over boys with my stuffed animals anymore, so that nostalgia is gone too.

But just seeing a picture reminds me. It brings me back to that place, reminds me of my excitement at getting the gift, reminds me of both ups and downs and how we were so timid towards each other in the first place. So take a picture. Remind yourself. Because you will eventually get old, and forgetful, and things will seem less important. But they aren't. You just needed to be reminded.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! So sorry your bear has gone missing. Nice that you have a lovely picture from your wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. That was touching. You're a great writer by the way! I cannot imagine you being 'timid'. Haha. But I understand, those first gifts are treasures for sure.

    ReplyDelete