Friday 9 December 2011

Goal 33. Create an inviting, organized entry

Sorry about my unannounced break. I just felt like most of my posts were getting kind of boring, and I didn't really have anything to talk about. But now I do! Here it goes!

This week I bring you news of a great and wonderful event..... we have an entry way that regular size people can fit in!
You see, when we first moved into the house we had those ugly sliding doors that come with many rental apartments built in the 1970's. You could only get into one side of the closet at a time, and it just seemed like a dark pit in there. We also didn't have enough shoe storage, so we were just throwing things on top of each other and then jamming the doors open to get at things. To make it worse, the closet is really way too thin, so our coat were constantly sticking out of any opening they could find. So! We needed to do something about this.

Cue my fiendish pinterest binge. Oh? You don't know what pinterest is? Click here to see my boards and then follow me!

So after going on pinterest and seeing a whole slew of cute entry makeovers here is what I have come up with so far. I still have a few plans, but I will reveal them as they happen.


So for the coat closet itself I just took one of our moving boxes (the one for glasses) taped it back together and put it on its side. That approximates a wine crate, and now we have organized shoes for a fraction of the cost. I also picked up this basket at Micheal's, which just happened to be green and matches my decor! Yay!



 Oh yeah, and that boot rack on the floor? That's an extra-large pan we got for our wedding that I filled with rocks. Although I did have to buy the rocks which made Prince Charming mad.


The last thing I made was a dry erase board out of a frame and scrapbook paper. This is MUCH easier than a fabric covered cork board, and I think will be more useful. The hardest part of this was trying to hang the silly thing on the door, which is made of some unspecified material, but it does NOT like to be drilled in to. So Command strips to the rescue. Seriously, these things are genius.


We also hung up a shelf that we got at Rona. This has been super useful as a place to hang our coats when we are lazy as well as my grocery bags and purse! I can actually usually find it!

I also made a mail slot which has different file folders in it, so that we can actually
store our mail and respond to it as necessary. This will hopefully work way better than our current solution of just throwing it wherever seems convenient.

I still really want to paint the little dresser but I have had to move on to other things. So for now this goal is done. But hopefully one day soon I will get to do a few additions!

Sorry for the whacko pictures, but this space is so small and awkwardly adjacent to the rest of the house that there is literally no way to take a picture of the whole thing! I guess it something to be happy about for those who live in larger homes :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment