Wednesday 13 June 2012

Summer Meal Planning (Recipe: Megadarra)

Hey Guys! Here is a peak into my summer meal plan on Google Docs. Please check out my spring meal plan here.


I was so excited when I created this meal plan. There is just something about the summer that makes me think about grilling, seafood, and lots of juicy crisp fruit 'n' veg. It's like my body wants to go on a diet! And then from a fantastic set of events Prince Charming has volunteered to take over the cooking for at least June. So now I am even more excited about this menu. I used the same method as outlined in my last menu planning post, but I did change up a few of the categories, to better reflect the season and my food goals. I am still working on making quite a bit of my bread from scratch, which is going pretty well. But we are certainly not becoming independent of the bakery, as I am still learning some recipes. Please check out Mennonite Girls Can Cook for some fantastic bread recipes.

Here is a fantastic recipe for Megadarra, which has been in both my Spring and Summer Recipes. It is really, really good, vegetarian, and super duper cheap! It is also tasty both hot and cold, so it makes really great leftovers.



Megadarra 

- adapted from Company's Coming: Herb & Spices

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 lg. onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 cup dried green lentils
1 900ml box broth (of any variety - we prefer beef, vegetable if you are strictly vegetarian)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground coriander

1/2 cup brown minute rice
3/4 cup water

Put lentils, 2 cups of the broth, and the spices into a large pot. Stir, and bring to a boil on medium. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes, without stirring, until lentils are almost tender.

Meanwhile, heat oil in large frying pan on medium heat. Add onion. Cook until very golden brown and fragrant (caramelized), about 20 minutes. Add brown sugar and vinegar. Heat and stir, then remove from heat. Set aside.

Add rice to lentils pot, and the remaining broth, water and 1/2 the onion mixture. Stir and bring to a boil on medium. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, without stirring, until rice is tender.

Serve with naan bread, tzatsiki and a simple greek salad. Gobble it all up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment